Classic Bolognese recipe bursting with vegetable and beef flavor.
Prep Time: 30 min
Ready in: 5 hr
- 1 large onion or 2 small, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic
- Cervasi Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 3 pounds ground chuck, brisket or round or combination
- 2 cups tomato paste
- 3 cups hearty red wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 pound Cervasi Spaghetti
- In a food processor, puree onion, carrots, celery, and garlic into a coarse paste.
- In a large pan over medium heat, coat pan with oil. Add the pureed veggies and season generously with salt. Bring the pan to a medium-high heat and cook until all the water has evaporated and they become nice and brown, stirring frequently, about 15 to 20
- Add the ground beef and season again generously with salt. Brown the beef. Cook another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until brown about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the red wine. Cook until the wine has reduced by half, another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add water to the pan until the water is about 1 inch above the meat. Toss in the bay leaves and the bundle of thyme and stir to combine everything. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- As the water evaporates you will gradually need to add more, about 2 to 3 cups at a time. Season with salt, if needed simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat to cook the spaghetti. When the water is at a rolling boil add the spaghetti and cook for 2 minutes less than it calls for on the package.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the pasta and add 1 cup of sauce to the pasta. Stir or toss the pasta to coat with the sauce.
- Add the reserved pasta cooking water and cook the pasta and sauce together over a medium heat until the water has reduced 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and add Parmigiano and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Toss or stir vigorously. Top with remaining grated Parmigiano. Serve immediately.